Tuesday 7 April 2015

Nike We Run KL

I was very excited to find out from one of the running blogs which I subscribed to that Nike We Run KL 2015 was going to be held on 1st February.

It was symbolic that this hugely popular Nike running series was held in KL on the anniversary of the formation of Kuala Lumpur Federal Territory back in 1974.
The 21k distance was a first for the Nike We Run KL - they weren't making it easy for me to be involved but I didn't hesitate at all to register for it having completed my first Half Marathon in the Penang Bridge International Marathon 2014. I was lucky as I was successful in registering for Nike We Run - registration was full by evening on the day of registration! I felt a little smug that I was going to be amongst the 10,000 participants to run in the Nike We Run.



The route was interesting as it incorporated many KL iconic landmarks such as the National Mosque, Stadium Merdeka and the KL Tower. Furthermore, I relished the idea of being able to run freely on the roads in KL as the roads involved would be closed to traffic on race day.

The race kicked off at 5:30am. It was great to see so many people with the same passion for running congregated at Stadium Merdeka at such an ungodly hour.

My goal was to run all the way in the race with the exception of making quick stops at the hydration stations. I managed to keep to that goal for the most part; however, I gradually ran out of gas. According to the race guide, the route becomes easier from 16km till the finish line as it's a straight path all the way. Shortly after the U-turn at Taman Tenaga, I settled in to a steady plod. Much as I pushed myself to pick up speed again, my legs would not respond to my command. At this point, some of the runners passed me by. I felt frustrated and beaten. My legs were heavy like logs and my feet wet in sweat so I began a long trudge to the finish line. I knew at 19km that I was not going to finish the race under 2 hours. But I was determined to finish the race in under 2:05 which was the time I recorded just three months prior at the Penang Bridge International Marathon.

I mustered whatever reserve left in my body and ran the final kilometer to the finish line. Look at the pained expression on my face in the photo (courtesy of IceCremeSoda).  But one would be mistaken to think that I suffered.. In fact, I was filled with a rush of pride when I crossed the finish line. It was an incredible feeling indeed.....







Result:2:07:35
Rank: 324 out of 2,653


No comments: