Tuesday 8 November 2022

parkrun Taman Pudu Ulu 100th Event

I'm well acquainted with parkruns though I have not participated any until last weekend. My runner buddy, Azwan informed me that parkrun at Taman Pudu Ulu would be marking its 100th event on Saturday, 5 November. So I registered with parkrun, parkrun.my/register, and printed my bar code and was all set to attend this milestone event for my maiden parkrun, meet other runners/walkers/fitness enthusiasts and anyone who's passionate about the sport of running.



For those unfamiliar with parkruns, they are free weekly, community running/walking events that take place in 23 countries around the world. It's a 5k run or walking on Saturday morning, and 2k event on Sunday morning. The event is run by volunteers.

According to the parkrun website, the very first edition was held in 2004 in Bushy Park, Teddington, UK. It is one of the most popular parkrun locations in the world, although just 13 runner participated in the inaugural event. 

I arrived at the Taman Pudu Ulu, around 7:15am, just in time for the briefing for first-timers by one of the volunteers. He briefed us on the route (which involved 3 loops and 2 U-turns and a funnel to the finish/start) and cautioned us on the slippery parts of the course (the path was wet due to showers earlier. The race director of the day was introduced and he gave a brief do's and don'ts while running/walking in the park and were were flagged off at 7:30am. Important message he emphasised: respect the right of other users of the park.

Briefing by race director

Runners of various nationalities, different shapes and sizes and abilities gathered on this wet Saturday morning - there were also a few children runner in the mix making this group the most diverse group of runners I've ever seen at a running event.

At the finish line, I received token which I presented to the volunteer, a friendly gentleman who scanned the my barcode on my membership card and the token. I later received an email with my finishing time and ranking according to my age group.

To commemorate their 100th run, the organiser laid a cake on the registration table, which was shared amongst all the runners after they have successfully finished the run...

It was a great event, well-organized by a team of dedicated volunteers.. A big thank you on behalf of all the participants of the run (it was a big turnout) to the volunteers.



A milestone for TPU - 100th event







No comments: