Wednesday 4 November 2015

2XU Compression Run Putrajaya



So I took the bull by the horns last Sunday and went ahead with running 21.1km despite the fact that my training hadn't added up in the weeks leading to the 2XU Compression Run Malaysia on 1 November. The 2XU Compression Run Malaysia would be the second half-marathon in 2015 for me after Nike We Run KL (Read report here) back in February.

The prolonged and dreadful haze had severely impacted the training schedule of most runners living in the Klang Valley. As the air quality improved in the week leading up to the race, I wanted more than ever to go for an event that didn't end up getting cancelled because of the haze. The thought of being out there for a run with other runners and enjoying the camaraderie of the running community were an impetus to get down to business and train for the race. Time was of the essence so I tried to cram in the miles every day of the week beginning 26 October. Unfortunately, Mother Nature was not on my side on Monday - heavy rain in the evening forced me to make alternative plans so I hit the gym and went for Body Combat Class. Determined to put in training on Tuesday,  I went on a long run but that session was curtailed due to heavy showers in Lembah Kiara in Taman Tun Dr. Ismail.

On Wednesday, I joined the Puma Night Running Club in Desa Park City for their weekly training. It was great to see a big turnout of runners on that day, many of whom were training for the Puma Night Run on 31 October. The program for that evening was negative split training and I had a rewarding session on my speed/tempo work (incidentally, I achieved a new record for the fastest 5km time at 25:52). A big thank you goes out to the fun and energetic pacers of the group!

On to the review of the 2XU Compression Run on 1 November.

Around 3700 runners congregated in Precinct 6 of Putrajaya at 6:30 a.m. for the flag off. I could feel it in the air the excitement of the runners in anticipation of a race on this fine day which was about to get underway. I started with a pace of 5:53 min/km and gradually picked up speed to 5:23 min/km and 5:10 min/km. I settled into a decent tempo and felt good for about 10km. At kilometer 11, I was surprised to see that the marker showed 10km. It appeared that there was a discrepancy in the distance showed on my Garmin and the distance marker placed by the organizer. The realisation that I was not at halfway point rattled me slightly. I reached into my pouch and tore open a pack of gel to power up.

Spectator area in the indoor stadium in Precinct 5, Putrajaya


I tried to hold on to my pace after the unpleasant discovery but I could see that the 2:00 hour pacers - who were running just ahead of me up to kilometer 11 - started to move further ahead of me. It was impossible to catch up with them and soon after they disappeared from sight. I could accept that I was not going to achieve a 2 hour half-marathon. Certainly not in this race as there was insufficient training put in to begin with.

Those ramps in Persiaran Timur were all familiar with me. I thought I could conquer them as I did in the past but as the distance progressed and my legs increasingly weighed down on me, I resorted to walk/run method on those inclines/ramps. Later, it became clear I was doing more walking than running on the inclines as more and more runners past me by. Not only did I not conquer the inclines, the inclines got me. Actually, I think the inclines ate me! I had no answer for them and my pace dropped from 6:45 min/km to 7:38 min/km.

After what felt like an eternity, I caught a glimpse of the marker for the final kilometer. It was a perfect time to push myself to pick up the pace again. I managed maintain to a steady jog but not without a struggle. My legs by this time were aching, my feet soaked in sweat. With every step I could feel the balls of my feet pounding the paved surface of the park in Precinct 5. Numb to the pain in my feet, I recited my mantra, "stay strong.. you are stronger than you think".

Forcing a smile to pose with my sister.. bare foot

The usual suspects with podium finishing
A new look with the Buff head wear

At the finish line, I immediately removed my shoes to relieve the pins and needles in my feet. My legs could hardly carry me as I walked to the refreshment station. My calves were tight as wound springs and I allowed myself to take a fall. Sitting on my haunches, I looked at my watch and it showed 2:12:40. With a grimace on my face and excruciating pain in my legs, I was indeed a happy if not tearful survivor of yet another half marathon.

This was a tough one to acquire and it's beautiful

Results:
Clock time: 2:14:15
Net time: 2:12:40
Rank: 148 out of 1202



Post script:The writer has all but recovered from the ache in my calves and I'm ready to take on the next challenge. His Garmin recorded 22.25km on that day, the furthest distance he had ever done.

3 comments:

Tony Yeoh said...

Very impressed with your determination brother. Keep up the good work !

Tony Yeoh said...

Very impressed with your determination brother. Keep up the good work !

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

This was your furthest distance? That's a very good effort, then. Congrats!